Friday, March 18, 2011

More Harass - Reapers this time

I've played a couple of games since my last post.  Not every game inspires me to write something down, at least not always right away...

I won a Protoss v Zerg where I built a bunch of Sentries early and failed to stop his Zerglings.  I technically won because he D/C'd but I was about to win for real anyway...but I had a moment where I remembered something I posted earlier.  It's important to choose a strategy that I'm comfortable with.

I'm not comfortable with sentries.  I could (and should) practice with them.  They're a powerful spell casting unit that I could probably do some great things with. I'm happy to have a few in my army for guardian shield or to push SCVs away from Bunkers I'm trying to kill, but otherwise I don't often use them much.  Outside of "practice" time, though, I should focus on strategies that involve units I enjoy using.  And if I don't win with those, I should keep trying until I find a way to win.

Anyway, tonight I played a TvZ.  He opened with a one-base Roach expand.  I had just finished watching the Day[9] Daily from Wednesday where, at the end, he told us about this next week's Newbie Tuesday where he wanted us to submit Speed Reaper build games.  So I thought "Hrm...I could open with Speed Reapers".

Speed Reapers were my favorite way to open as Terran before they got nerfed to need a Factory first.  I hadn't done it since, preferring to open with Marauders.  But I figured I'd give it a try...man did it work great.

I walled off while I got my base up and running.  The bunker deterred his early Roach push and I countered soon after with my Reapers.  I had two good spots to hit him with the Reapers and tried to keep going back and forth between them, keeping the Watchtower also clean and using Scans to push his creep back (or at least try to prevent it from getting too far towards my base).

He couldn't leave.  Everytime he'd try my Reapers would be in his base, shooting his men.  What happened eventually was he split his Roaches between two spots and went with a Spire to get Mutalisks because he didn't know how else to get out of his base.  By the time his Mutalisks were moving out to attack me, my army was ready to go and I was moving on his base.

He had a good Roach count and Mutalisk count but he didn't have a lot of upgrades and his economy wasn't as deep as mine, so I was able to keep pushing on him until he had to GG out.

+ 20 Points, Silver League Division Rank 6, Remaining Bonus Pool 2196

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/151656-1v1-terran-zerg-gutterhulk

Edit: Briefly featured on the Day[9] Episode.  I am, of course, relatively terrible...but it was still fun to watch.

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/4925514/

No comments:

Post a Comment