Thursday, May 26, 2011

It is nice when I get to win a ZvZ

So since my total ZvZ meltdown a few weeks ago I've been working on reworking my approach to the matchup.

I'm trying to get some scouting in early to see if he's going Pool or Hatch first.  If I can't scout in time, or if he's going Pool first, then I go 15 pool (or earlier, you know, if he 6 pools or something).  If he expands then obviously I have time to expand first or soon after my pool if I've already placed it.

Then I get Zergling Speed up right away and make 6-8 Speedlings to put the pressure on and see what he does.  As I can I get a second Queen up and a Baneling Nest plus Roach Warren.  It feels like overkill on the tech, but I like the idea of being able to switch my tech between Banelings and Roaches as I need to in those early stages.

Today he went fast Roaches, putting that Warren down as soon as he saw I was going early Speedlings. As soon as he had a few Roaches he attacked, but I defended pretty easily when the Spine Crawlers I put down when I saw it coming.

Little did I know at the time, but from that point on the game was mine.  Once he started making Roaches he kinda stopped doing anything else.  He got some upgrades, namely just +1, but he didn't seem to have much of a plan for winning the game besides 4 early Roaches off 1 base 1 gas.  Because he wasn't doing anything I went ahead and expanded, got my Lair up and went Mutalisks along with my upgraded Roaches.

Another odd thing was he kept trying to send in Overlords and eventually an Overseer into my base to scout.  I had Overlords everywhere though...he had to know since he couldn't get in my base without passing them all...so knowing they were coming I was able to position my Queens and pick them off one after another after another.  I supply capped him a few times this way.

Eventually I just wore him down.  He spotted the Mutalisks as they were getting up to a good number, so I took that as my cue to attack.  I shut down his first expand pretty quick and harassed his Overlords until I forced him to try to counter.  Once that was cleaned up I parked my army in his base until he GG'd out.

+ 26 Points, Silver League Division Rank 7, Remaining Bonus Pool 164

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/3067

No comments:

Post a Comment