Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gold's not that different from Silver...so far

Of course that may simply be because I was mostly playing versus Gold players before I got promoted.

I don't understand why people don't check the Xel'Naga watch towers.  I kept my initial scouting SCV on the tower between our bases the *entire* game.

So PvZ on Backwater Gulch, I spawned top left and he spawned bottom left.  We scouted each other early and he tried to hide a probe in the trees on the edge of my base but, wary of any cheese, I spotted it and took it out with an SCV.

He built 4 Warpgates and expanded on that.  Now....I'm a big fan of the Gateway heavy Protoss, I am.  But I don't think you can do it by just building a huge economy and waiting until you're maxed.  If you're going to go for max, as protoss, you need a heavy hitter.  Collosi or something.  After his second expansion and a few more Gateways, instead of putting any pressure on me (after defending my pressure just fine) he expanded again to the main at the bottom right and put down 14 more Gateways.

At which point I just went and killed him with my MMM + Siege Tank.  I'd taken the Gold as my third at that point, was about to move my 4th Command Center to a base and had already gotten some of the Battlecruiser tech up and ready to go, so I felt prepared to lose my force and defend until the BC's were produced..but it never happened.  Gateway units without a lot of pressure and probably also without a lot of Sentries just can't deal with MMM that well, IMO.  Maybe with good Templar play, but he was just warping in Templars to make Archons.

+ 22 Points, Gold League Division Rank 26, Remaining Bonus Pool 175

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/4410

No comments:

Post a Comment